A new way of looking at your morning routine
As a sensitive, intuitive, and psychic, it is a wonderfully satisfying experience to connect with the world and in relationships with a full range of abilities to perceive and sense. It can also be challenging as there is often a sense that you can “feel it all” and fall into a state of emotional or sensory overload. Using psychic tools and meditation, or any personally meaningful practice of clearing energy and grounding is important for psychic maintenance and development.
As you stand at the midpoint of what is one of the most epic and pivotal years that many have experienced in this lifetime. With the unfolding of global events, there is no immediate sign indicating that there will be a calming down or “back to usual” signal. As psychics, who are sensitive and intuitive, it can be hard enough to maintain our space under somewhat ‘normal’ circumstances. So how do we manage ourselves while standing in the ‘sideways-moving’ energies of many intersecting world events, people in distress, our own responses, reactions, and the powerful social causes compelling us to take action?
It is possible to encounter people or situations and other sources that want to siphon your energy and ground through you. One only needs to look to mainstream media to see all the ways in which you may be pulled into giving away your energy, being subtly manipulated or triggered emotionally, and made to feel powerless in a state of perpetual panic or anxiety. That is not to say that there aren’t very real and immediate issues at hand to address in both private and public spheres. But if you are able to approach them from a place of neutrality, grounded-ness, and clarity, it can be more effective and empowering.
In times of stress and challenge, many people may have old wounding and traumas surface. When you do not feel rested, clear, and centered, it is possible to be more vulnerable to other people sapping your energy (sometimes called energy vampires), wanting to heal everyone with your own energy in an act of out-of-control healing, feeling powerless, and being lit-up by the suffering of others and world events as they unfold.
With all the ways in which these events potentially impact our lives, there is a call more than ever to manage our energetic space. Psychic Hygiene is an important component of being in the world with your abilities, managing your energy, and feeling grounded, centered, and empowered.
Psychic Hygiene is not a new term and is discussed in many forums among various teachers and leaders in the field of energetics, astrology, spiritual, healing, and psychic practices. Leaders in the field of psychic development, intuitive awareness, and energy management address these complex issues in many ways. Psychic Hygiene is a term used by many spiritual teachers as a way to manage energy from ‘Psychic Viruses’.
The origins of the concept of Psychic Hygiene may have partially evolved out of the idea of ‘mental hygiene’, which was a term first used by William Sweetzer in 1843. This term came out the history surrounding the American civil war, where the effects of prolonged unrest, death, disease, poverty, and social issues, had a deep impact on mental health. Although Sweetzer’s writing is considered somewhat problematic by modern standards, the discussion has evolved to include the areas that promote greater awareness around practices to foster mental health.
Psychic hygiene is a simple idea that can yield powerful results. Just as you groom yourself upon waking, with various physical hygiene and morning/evening practices, so to should you consider psychic hygiene practices as part of a healthy lifestyle.
When we consider psychic hygiene, this includes a daily, sometimes multiple times daily practice that can keep your space clear, grounded, and protected as you move through our life. It also makes you better able to respond to situations as they occur with greater insight and a sense of empowerment at a time when it may feel out-of-control.
Ways to Practice Psychic Hygiene
- Clearing energy that is not yours (‘foreign energy’)
- Defining and maintain your boundaries energetically
- Noticing when you are allowing energies to come into your personal field
- Clear out things that may be impacting you in your private and public spheres
- Manage out of control energies from people, places, and events that you cannot change.
- Stave off the desire to heal with your own energy. In other words be an ‘out-of-control’ healer, which can be depleting
- Being able to be flexible, resilient, and move with the ebbs and flows of constantly shifting energies and life events.
- Check your havingness and kindergarten gages throughout your day as a reminder when there are thick energies or you feel confused as to where you are in it all.
Why practice psychic hygiene?
- The current energies of the world demand this of you
- Staying clean and clear psychically allows you to respond quickly from a place of power
- It is a form of self-protection
- It makes you less susceptible to energies, that often come through people, groups, and situations that may be in competition with you, or attempting to destabilize you.
- It makes you more effective as a reader, healer, and overall human being.
- It gives you the opportunity to make more informed choices of with whom or what you put your energy into.
- It is a next step in acknowledging your developing awareness and psychic abilities, no matter where you are on your path of self-discovery
- Gives you greater ownership over your awareness and abilities, or ‘to own it, is to know it, be it’
- Creates space between you and external events as they unfold from a place of neutrality. Neutrality does not mean that you are apathetic to causes close to your heart, rather it makes you more effective in the action you may choose to take.
How do I practice psychic hygiene?
In the same way that you meditate daily, this may be applied to your ‘out-of-trance’ moments. You can do a quick check-in with your psychic tools upon waking before you start your day. You may take a Psychic Hygiene break throughout your day, during your ‘coffee break’ or ‘lunchtime’.
You can actually check in with your tools eyes-open, on the move by simply asking a question or putting up a rose to see what you need and giving it some attention for a few minutes. Your tools are a touchstone, in that the more that you know they are there and feel them working for you, the more they become real in your life.
When a negative or challenging situation occurs, or you experience a reaction and are ‘lit-up’, it is an invitation to look at where you are with your energy. What is your energetic match to that lit-up state? This may manifest as a feeling in the body or emotion. You can blow roses at that moment, check your grounding, Trace your earth and cosmic energy, bring in gold suns, and change out your separation rose.
It is also possible to dive deeply into the personal significance and explore themes as a way to unlock healing in your body but is not necessary. As with anything, you have a choice and sometimes it is simply enough to identify, give it a ‘hello’ to what is present in your space and clear it out.
There may come a point where this becomes second nature for you and you expand into grounding spaces and things on the go, reading the energies of situations you are going into, clearing energy to facilitate greater communication and understanding in your many relationships. It also facilitates clarity in reading and healing practice.
To this point, Psychic Hygiene shows you that psychic tools and clairvoyant meditation are extremely practical while at the same time profound and may bring us closer to the core of who we are and how we want to walk in our lives, and in the world, regardless of what state it is in.
If you want to explore the psychic tools, meditation, and psychic development, sign up for our Clairvoyant Meditation Free Open House to learn about course offerings. Book a student or professional psychic reading through The Psychic School