The Difference Between a Psychic and a Medium
Readings and healings are not ‘one size fits all’
During this time of COVID 19, you may be bored in your house as you are ‘sheltering in place’, or worried about the current events, whether you have issues with employment, money, relationships, or feel generally uneasy, or maybe just bored. During this period of turmoil and change, many people are experiencing heightened dream states and spontaneously awakening to their intuitive and psychic awareness. There is currently an upswing in interest in psychics and mediums, whether it is to receive a reading, read predictions or embark on a new journey of developing your own awareness and finding greater focus and direction in your life. The New York Post interviewed several psychics that have noticed a 20-30% increase in business due to the circumstances surrounding the Coronavirus.
You may be considering a psychic reading or healing, especially in consideration of the current circumstances. The world of psychic readings have come a long way. Gone are the days of side alley crystal-ball clad storefronts and late-night infomercials with 1-800 hotlines. These days, a psychic reading can be conducted from the comfort of your own home, by phone, internet, an app, even via chat and DM. It is at the very least a refreshing form of entertainment, but it is also possible to receive some invaluable insights to gain new perspectives and fuel your next steps.
However, many people confuse and are unsure of the difference between a psychic and a medium. Adding to the confusion is the plethora of readers offering services online, in-app, over the phone, and in-person (although not at the moment.). Perhaps you have heard of psychic readers, clairvoyant readers, mediums, psychic mediums, and the list goes on. Where does one even start to pick from and book a reading?
America seems to be fascinated with psychic mediums. Popular T.V. shows like the Long Island Medium, Mama Medium, Tyler Henry Show, and The Seatbelt Psychic that the messages from spirit are good entertainment and good business. These celebrity mediums present a manner of receiving and communicating information that is not how all psychics work. Not to mention they use the word ‘medium” and ‘psychic medium’ interchangeably, which have subtle yet distinct differences in approach. In order to find the right fit to match your interests and questions and get the most out of a reading or healing, consider this.
All mediums are psychics, however, all psychics are not necessarily mediums
A psychic is a broad stroke term for someone who uses their intuition to read energy and information pertaining to you or others. They blend with an individual’s energy field, looking at you in spirit. The energies of a living person are denser and are in some ways more concrete to read.
They may read past, present, and future information through impressions and words. They may use their ‘Clair’ abilities, for example, clairvoyance, or the ability to see, is a common way to read. For a list of abilities and their meanings, take a look at this previous post on ‘clair’ abilities.
Psychics may also use guides, or connect to their higher self, via claircongnizance. They may also use various divination tools to tune into information. Psychic readings may be themed around specific questions or overall energies. Each psychic has their own unique personality and manner of tuning into you that comes out in a reading and offer entertainment, information, insights, and inspiration for your next steps.
A medium connects with those that have passed over and generally speak with spirits that no longer live in the physical world. There are several types; physical, mental, and trance mediumship. Mediums connect in various ways with the spirit world. There is also Trance Medium Healing.
A medium raises their energy to be able to merge with the soul of a deceased individual or being. The energies of this type of reading are lighter and subtler than the energies that a psychic generally use. They use their ‘Clairs’ in a balanced way and allow information to flow through them. They can connect with the spirit world and potentially other dimensions.
Often they will give detailed information that only you know to verify the connection with spirit, as is with the many celebrity mediums on T.V.. However, this is not always the case. Generally speaking, mediums do not offer predictions or readings about career, money, finances, love, and health, etc., rather they offer proof, comfort, and validation to those that may be grieving or thinking about someone who has passed on.
Some mediums will offer readings that are a combination of connecting with spirit and psychic reading (hence the term ‘psychic medium’) however, strictly speaking, mediums work with spirits that do not have bodies.
A Note on Social Media Psychics
There are very popular mediums and psychic mediums that claim to offer ‘channeled messages’ on social media; YouTube, Tik Tok, Twitch, Glide, Instagram, and Discord among other platforms. Although an individual may have a natural inclination towards connecting with spirits and may very well be psychic, true mediums often undergo many years of rigorous training to learn to harness, control, and direct their abilities. A one-off YouTube Tarot card slinger/pick-a-card reader may not actually be a trained medium but rather using that term to describe their spontaneous stream of consciousness ‘channeling’. Consider your sources and always use your own discernment, especially when money is exchanged for a service.
This level of ‘tuning in’ and delivering information or healing typically requires intensive and prolonged training to develop the ability to be able to control and manage the energies encountered.
Trance Mediumship or Channelling where the reader has a great deal of physical control depending on the level of trance state they are in. There is a strong sharing of energy and spirit speaking through the consciousness of the individual. It is also possible to notice modulation in the individual’s voice and language during these states.
Trance Mediumship Healing is a form of healing that involves working with spirit in this ‘altered state’. It is different from Angel healing in that the trance medium healer will bring in spirit into their body directly to conduct the healing.
Tips for finding your psychic ‘ideal match’
- Decide what it is you are looking for. If you are looking for a reading on your money or love life, or whether you will find a job, a psychic may be a better fit than a medium. However, if you are looking to connect with a relative that has passed away, a medium may be just right for your needs.
- Look at the website or listing for that reader and see if it feels good. Use your own intuition to guide you. You may want to check reviews on the website to see how others experienced the reading.
- Think of a couple of questions that you may want to be answered and jot them down. Or give yourself a few minutes before the call to tune in to yourself so that you may be prepared for your time.
- As you receive a reading or healing, take note or jot down impressions and any questions that arise. You may want to communicate them at the end of the reading. As most readings and healings are timed, being prepared will maximize the benefits and opportunities to get the most out of your experience.
- Keep an open mind. You booked a reading or a healing that indicates that you have a sense of curiosity and some degree of openness to energy and psychic awareness. The more relaxed and open you are, even if you have some doubts, allows readers to tune into you with greater ease than if you are closed off to the experience. You may always take what resonates with you and discard the rest. This is your time, so enjoy it!
- Most, but not all, readers will offer a recording so that you may listen to reading again. Readings, no matter who you book, are full of information and it is quite common not to get it all in the first listening. Give yourself time to listen and process what information was shared.
- Try not to rely too much on readings as a source of answers. You ultimately have your own answers, and more often than not, the questions you come with indicate that you probably know instinctively what is going on in your life.
- Ideally, a couple of times of month maximum is suggested so that you do not rely too heavily on an external source for answers. A psychic that adheres to any professional and ethical standards will actually discourage you from constantly overbooking readings.
- Healings can be enjoyed according to your needs and desires. There is no harm in receiving healings on a regular schedule.
- A psychic is not a superhero. They cannot bore a hole into your mind with lasers for eyes. They are human and very sensitive individuals who ultimately want you to connect with your own knowing, heal, and take steps in your growth.
- For an authentic and meaningful reading that is coming from a high ethical standard, go by word of mouth, recommendations, or in researching the ‘feel’ of a group or individual.
- Try booking a student or professional reading, healing, or trance medium healing through the psychic school. Take a look!
If you want to explore meditation and psychic development, sign up for our Clairvoyant Meditation Free Open House to learn about course offerings. Book a student or professional psychic reading through The Psychic School